Last Minute Details
Please read all of this information, or click HERE to download a pdf of this information.
YOU CAN BECOME FAMOUS!
- Stop by any time to record a short video about what you learned or who you met at HCNW. We’ll put it on our Facebook page for everyone to see!
- BECOME A REPORTER: Post photos and stories on “Harmony College Northwest” on Facebook
CLOCK HOURS FOR WASHINGTON MUSIC TEACHERS:
- Sign in and pick up your packets during HCNW registration.
- Pick up your registration packets as soon as you arrive. They will contain your name badge and either your keys (if you are a resident) or your meal tickets (if you are a commuter).
- Registration starts Friday at 11:00, is located in the Wheelock Student Center. Look for signs and people to guide you. (If arrive that early, please be aware that Friday lunch is NOT included in the registration fee, but you can pay as you go through the cafeteria.)
- OWE MONEY? If you have not completely paid for HCNW, go to the “Will Call” area, in the registration area, where you will be able to pick up your packet after you’ve either paid by check or credit card.
- There is summer construction at UPS between Wheelock and the dorms. The parking lot south of Wheelock is largely unaffected. Please enter Wheelock from this parking lot.
- If this is your first year to attend Harmony College NW, we extend a huge “welcome” and invite you to stop by the First Timers table in registration for valuable information, and a special sticker to put on your name badge!
LATE ARRIVALS - RESIDENTS
- If you arrive after Friday’s dinner and during the General Session, come directly to Schneebeck Auditorium to pick up your keys and packet in the Schneebeck lobby before you head to your Session 2 class.
- If you will be arriving after 8:00 pm on Friday, your packet and keys will have been taken to the Campus Security office (on the north, or 15th St., side of Wheelock Student Center), and can be picked up there at any time during the night.
YOUR PERSONAL SCHEDULE
- Your class schedule is printed on the back of your name badge. It will be in your registration packet.
- We have scheduled longer meal breaks for visiting and getting to classes.
- Residents: If you have registered to live on campus for the weekend, your room keys will get you into the dining room for meals from Friday’s dinner through Sunday’s breakfast.
- Commuters: If you will be commuting daily, in your registration packet you will receive 3 meal tickets for Friday’s dinner and Saturday’s lunch and dinner (along with your name badges).
PVIs – SATURDAY DURING DINNER!
- PVIs (Private Vocal Instruction) will be happening during the Saturday dinner break. Spaces are limited, so sign up in the registration area as soon as you arrive on Friday.
GET CONNECTED – AND SPREAD THE NEWS!!! AND TELL OTHERS!!!
- Spread the word that you’re excited about HCNW this year.
- Visit “Harmony College Northwest” on Facebook…and “LIKE” us!!
- If you haven’t already, join the Evernet, a Yahoo discussion group. It’s a good way to view communications about HCNW deadlines, shows, and events. The Evernet also covers information for male and female barbershoppers in the NW and western Canada.
If you want to subscribe, send a blank email to: email@example.com
- Share what you’re going to be doing with your barbershopping or singing friends and invite them to join you at Harmony College NW this summer. They will be glad that you did!
- Take photos then send them for future HCNW website pages! Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
SATURDAY NIGHT SHOW
- BEST SHOW IN THE NORTHWEST!!! Your tuition includes our Saturday night show featuring our STARS from the weekend including Frenzy, Speed of Sound, and Signature…and more.
- Extra tickets for Saturday’s show will be available at the door.
AFTERGLOWS - FRIDAY and SATURDAY
- Everyone is invited to our Afterglows to enjoy tags, singing, and visiting. Light snacks and beverages will be available for purchase. Quartets and small ensembles are also invited to sing for groups.
- Friday’s Afterglow will include a Mixed Quartet/VLQ Contest. Your group will need to sign up in the registration area Friday afternoon.
- Saturday’s Afterglow will include a Quartet Parade. If your quartet would like to sing be sure to sign up during the weekend.
- Resident students and faculty will be staying in the student dorms again this year. Don’t forget the dorm halls are CO-ED. Dress appropriately for your trip down the hall!
- We do have internet connectivity: Go to your network preferences and select
PS-GuestAccess and follow the prompts. You will need some type of anti-virus on your device.
- You MUST bring your own bedding and towels. The beds on campus are twin extra long - so bring flat sheets, or a sleeping bag, along with your pillow, washcloth, and towels, etc.
- We will have a limited number of linen sets available for rental from UPS over the weekend at $25/set. Email Judy Galloway ahead of time and she’ll save a set for you. email@example.com
- Upgraded dorm rooms come with a set of linens for your use.
- Resident students and faculty will receive the dorm keys in their registration packets. Wear your room keys all weekend, so that you don’t get locked out of your dorm or your room. ALL keys must be returned to the box in the registration area before you leave campus.
- Residents: show your key lanyard as payment for your meals.
YOU MIGHT WANT TO ALSO BRING -- It should be warm – but this is the Northwest!
- Throat lozenges
- Walking shoes! Classes are scattered around the campus
- Alarm clock
- Small fan and/or umbrella
- Water bottle
- Sweater or light jacket (classrooms might be air conditioned)
- Linens! Sheets, pillow, towel, washcloth, soap, shampoo, etc.
- Class handouts and sheet music downloaded from the website.
- Small $$ bills for the Friday and Saturday nights’ Afterglows in Thompson’s Atrium.
- Materials or devices for taking notes (notebook, pens, pencils, iPads, tablets, whatever)
HCNW SONGS – Check out our Music Page: www.harmonycollege.org/music.html
- Tags are always fun to sing – so be ready to join in.
- Copies of the tags and sheet music will be available on our Music page.
- There is a class for Mixed Choruses and they will be singing together an 8-part song, “You’re Just in Love.” Sheet music and learning tracks are available on our Music page.
- There are also classes using Polecat Books Vol 1 and 2, and the Mass Sing Songbook. Limited number of each are available for purchase during registration.
- We will also be singing the Canadian and American National Anthems, and How We Sang Today (SAI), and Keep the Whole World Singing (BHS). Come ready to sing.
HANDOUTS – BRING YOUR OWN HANDOUTS (BYOH)
- We are trying to save on copy costs (which helps to keep your tuition low).
- Class handouts for the weekend will be available for most classes the week before classes start at: www.harmonycollege.org/handouts.html
- You will find copies of the HCNW Schedule and a campus map in your registration packet when you arrive.
- There will be no available printed copies of handouts at HCNW.
ADVANCED THEORY MANUAL
- We have ordered the manual for the Advanced Theory class “Theory of Barbershop Harmony” and it will be available during registration for $10.00 for the students registered in Mel Knight’s classes.
- Electric wheelchair and scooter rentals can be arranged with American Medical Rental & Supply, in Tacoma, 253-473-3055. They will deliver to, and pick up from, Wheelock Center. www.americanmedicalrental.com
- Dorm rooms are accessible by ramps and elevators.
- All classroom buildings have elevators.
- We have a campus map showing accessible pathways and doors for handicap-access to our buildings.
- With the construction this year, it may take longer to get from Wheelock to dorms and classes.
EMERGENCIES AT HOME
- Please bring a cellphone so that people can reach you if there is a serious emergency. If you do not have a cellphone, please leave these campus/HCNW contact numbers with a responsible person.
- Campus Security Services, 253-879-3311
- HCNW Office: 509-554-7283 Carl Van Hoff or 541-490-2481 Judy Galloway
PROTECT YOUR VALUABLES AND YOUR CAR!!
- Please make sure that you lock your cars, and put things in the trunk. Don’t leave ANY valuables in view on the seats or floors.
- Check out your favorite internet weather site to get information on what to expect in Tacoma for HCNW.
RETURN DORM KEYS - $50!!
- Room keys were assigned to YOU. Please return keys before you leave campus. Missing keys cost Harmony College NW money -- $50/set
- Sunday afternoon, our UPS staff will check to make sure that every one of our student’s keys have been returned and ready for them to hand out for the next group coming in. If there are any missing keys, UPS has to have them replaced immediately for the next summer group coming to campus!
- Please, please, please RETURN YOUR KEYS before you leave! LOST KEYS cost HCNW $50/set.
See you there! Beverly Erickson, Registrar, HCNW